The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Sheet Metal Products

Sheet Metal Products
Discuss sheet metal products here. What products makes your job easier. No advertising on forums, it will be deleted.

Share This Forum!  

Old 04-09-2008, 08:13 PM

My vote is for the Mc Marker. It's a little pricey but it's the only one you'll ever have to buy. The Cain scriber is a favorite of mine as well. It works well in the field. Small and compact, fits easily into any tool box.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:18 PM
Professional Member

I took a piece of stainless rod and welded it to a stainless rule. I had sharpened it first. It works great and the rule is 16" lg. so it's handy in the field too. all tolled less hen $20. You just have to allow for half the rod and hold it square to the work.

you never slow down
you'll never grow old
Old 05-28-2009, 11:10 PM

I have one of the old Stanley's, when the face became worn (annoying groove), I made a face out of 18ga S.S. and JB welded it in place. Has yet to break off or become grooved.

Over the years I have found Stanley's at flea markets for next to nothing. Folks don't seem to know what they are for, or what use they are. Of the three I purchased ( for buddies who kept eyeballin mine) the most I paid was 5 bucks.

Flea markets can be treasure chests for oddball tools. Two weeks ago I found a TT4 Lazy Tong pop riveting tool, just like the one my grandpa (a lifelong old-school sheet metal man) gave me when he retired. It's an 'accordion' type pop riveter for 3/16th rivets. The are quick, fast, and require little effort. Plus-no hand shock! Never thought I would see another one of these. The are still being made (at least the accordion type is, I think the company that mad the TT4 are out of biz) in England. You can see pics of the if you browse some British tool sites. great funky, unknown tool.

Visit the dusty flea markets in the rural hinterlands of your area, it's worth the effort sometimes. Last weekend a fella was selling a stack of 1/16th brass sheet, 18"x36" for 3 bucks each! I got 5. Should have bought 10. Old and dusty, a little oxide here and there, they cleaned up nice.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:42 PM

I always use a Combination square and a perm marker. or a non perm if I have to mark a side that shows. Markers are easy to see and non prem markers erase easily with water.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:15 PM

I know exactly what you mean, I have the "Stanley" double arm butt scribe, model#47-091. I added a piece of stainless steel to the face for a longer lasting tool. I love it in the shop and the field. I bought 2 of them years ago and cannot find them anywhere on the internet now. I have heard there is also a 4 arm model, but I have never seen it. good luck!
Old 10-20-2010, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basher View Post
I always use a Combination square and a perm marker. or a non perm if I have to mark a side that shows. Markers are easy to see and non prem markers erase easily with water.
I have to second this method....easy to see and easy to remove. I prefer the red ultra sharpie. The only thing I ever scribe are circles.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:18 PM
Professional Member

Wink markers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basher View Post
well i had a journeyman tell me once to use a scrath awl and make sure that when i cut the metal .. half the line was on one side and the other was on the other. markers R too fat. alll epends on the work U R workin on.

U never slow down U never grow old !! dupree
Old 10-20-2010, 08:48 PM

The ultra sharpie is 0.2mm.....or .007 inch....my tape only goes to 32nd inch....not too fat for me. :0)
Attached Thumbnails
5414300_lg.jpg  
Old 10-21-2010, 03:36 PM
Professional Member

Red face OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
The ultra sharpie is 0.2mm.....or .007 inch....my tape only goes to 32nd inch....not too fat for me. :0)
Got Cha. I thought when U said marker it was one of those fatty's dupree
Old 10-23-2010, 10:00 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactassdupree View Post
Got Cha. I thought when U said marker it was one of those fatty's dupree
no problem...I have had people bring in stuff for me to bend, that was marked with a 1/4" wide marker....I just laugh and say "Which side of the mark do you want ?" they just have this funny look on their face
metalhead666 (07-15-2014)