The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Metal Roofs

Metal Roofs
Discussion forum and information on Metal Roofs.

Share This Forum!  

Old 11-12-2009, 10:40 PM
Professional Member

Aluminum blocks infrared wavelengths, which is why they face the good insulation with aluminum foil. Not sure how well steel blocks the infrared wavelengths, but aluminum (surprisingly) is one of the better elements at it. Still doesn't explain why the steel roofs are considered just as green as copper or aluminum ones.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:01 PM
Professional Member

its considered a green roof because you can recycle it!
Old 08-05-2010, 02:24 PM

Default 3M VHB tape

Has anyone used the VHB tape in a metal roofing application?
It would eliminate the expansion/contraction problems and
no holes to expand. I know it sounds crazy, but take a look at the specs on this stuff.
Bruce
Old 08-05-2010, 03:20 PM
ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefox View Post
Has anyone used the VHB tape in a metal roofing application?
It would eliminate the expansion/contraction problems and
no holes to expand. I know it sounds crazy, but take a look at the specs on this stuff.
Bruce
What is or where do you get VHB tape?
Old 08-06-2010, 06:36 AM
Professional Member

I've been buying it at Grangers. 3M product.I'm skinning elevators in SS. Done 5 cars so far and no problems.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:54 PM

Default VHB tape

Sorry about that, I thought I had put 3M before that in the post. One of there claims is that it allows for expansion contraction on things like skins on horse trailers. Whereas before, they had problems with poping rivets.
Bruce
Old 09-25-2010, 08:49 AM

Default 20 years of metal roofing experience

I've been doing custom copper, tin, zinc, stainless, steel, and aluminum since I was 15 years old. I love the look of a well-done copper roof or gutter system from shiny new, through the bronze, and well into the patina stage. I'm an old school table and tick-mark fabricator with experience on a 40 foot long computerized brake and it's all cool. When you can step back and see a metal roof that you put on and think about how it will be beautiful and functional long years after you are neither gives you a good feeling. Copper is naturally resistant to bacteria and stuff won't grow on it. A well-soldered joint will last the life of the metal itself. There is no maintenance. It's the showtime rotisserie for the top of your house - just set it and forget it. Let's not forget the class A fire rating it has. What isn't the benefit of a copper roof? Other metals share many of the benefits but steel and tin rust as paints scratch, chip, and fade, zinc expands and contracts too much for some areas and applications, and aluminum has to be riveted and caulked in "practical" roofing applications. To me, a rivet is a hole filled with a piece of metal that has a hole in it and that isn't practical in my view.
I've done 1000's of squares of slate as well and aside from the maintenance issue it's a great match for copper as your top choice in roofing. Metal is the only material that can do every single piece of your home framing, plumbing, heating, siding, electrical, etc. why not roofing?
Old 07-14-2014, 07:21 PM

Default Back to the VHB Tape Question

Do I need to keep reading? Did the question get answered? Has anyone used 3M VHB tape to secure a metal roof down in place of mechanical fasteners? I am re-doing my carport with Galvalume and the thought of no holes is intriguing.

I first saw this stuff on "Modern Marvels". They are using it to hold glass panels on skyscrapers in Dubai.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:51 PM

You can have a metal roof without fasteners penetrating the roofing panels, it's just goi g to cost more, require the structure to be solid sheeted, and cost a lot more then a 3'wide screw down style roofing panel. Aep skyline is a good choice, along with metals vertical seam they would be more then sufficient to do the job without fastners thru the panel. I wouldn't use tape.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:48 PM
Professional Member

Firefighters hate metal roofs.

If you use clips and double seams you should have an air gap above your sheeting and no visible fasteners.

Last edited by MattM; 07-15-2014 at 06:02 PM.