The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Sheet Metal Talk

Sheet Metal Talk
General discussion for fabrication and layout work. No advertising on forums, it will be deleted.

Share This Forum!  

Old 04-24-2007, 06:37 PM

Default spiral

At our shop we mainly do a rectangular duct and only spiral when it is called for. But lately it seems like alot of our jobs are calling for spiral pipe. For the bigger stuff we make saddles, and for the smaller stuff we make round hangers with 16 gauge flat stock with a 1" flange on each end and hang one piece of flat stock coming down and screw threw the 3 pieces. Does any one have any other methods other than gripple to hang it or any tips and short cuts because I always feel like it takes me longer to hang spiral than rectangular duct. Thanks
Old 04-24-2007, 07:29 PM
Professional Member

jm413 There's a product called Dyna-tite from Duro Dyne ( durodyne.com ) It's a cable system for hanging duct etc.
Works almost like a zip tie...
bordontn
Old 04-25-2007, 06:08 PM
Professional Member

I never felt that it takes longer to hang spiral compared to rectangular duct.

You may find it easier to punch the screw holes in one of the flanges on your round hangers and drive the screw through two pieces instead of all three.

Gripples are nice, but I am surprised that the pot metal construction is allowed (some even have plastic parts in them).... Just as smart as using those lead based anchors to hang duct from a concrete ceiling.... Lead, pot metal and plastic all have low melting points. What happens to all that duct in a fire?
Old 04-25-2007, 06:19 PM
ME

Quote:
Just as smart as using those lead based anchors to hang duct from a concrete ceiling
Never thought of this material and fire? Good points!
Old 04-27-2007, 08:18 AM

just a thought regarding spiral ducting, a punch band a roll of 7/8' wide galv. steel band with 1/2" x 3/4" slots punched at approx. 2" centres, you just cut enough material to circle the spiral duct plus the length of support to the underside of soffit 1 roofing nut and bolt to secure band around spiral, ie strangle and one fixing screw, bolt to fix to soffitt, if memory serves me correct Duro Dyne manufactures it, PS dimensions not accurate