The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Sheet Metal Talk

Sheet Metal Talk
General discussion for fabrication and layout work. No advertising on forums, it will be deleted.

Share This Forum!  

Old 06-02-2007, 02:19 PM
Professional Member

Default Thanks

Just want to say thanks to the library! We will have the oppurtunity to fabricate our first range hood shortly. Heavy copper flared and what not and I found the info I need overy in the books section. Thanks to all!
Old 06-25-2007, 06:17 PM
Professional Member

Disaster! Now I am not building the range hood I am clading a wooden one in 20 oz. copper. Today I cut the pieces and at the last minute after I finished the thre sides the fellow ordering it decided to change his mind about how the edges were finished. This thing is fluted, I think thats the term....going from 48" on the top flared out with a curve to 72" on the bottom. What's the best way to hem the front piece so that there are no raw edges. Can I build a jig and tin that edge all the way over then close it...this is new ground for me. Is there a nicer method? Hope you guys are up because this things getting fabricated tomorrrow Thanks! I scan a pic but my scanners down...
Old 06-25-2007, 11:31 PM
Professional Member

Default Flared hood

Here is a picture of a hood that I did. It too was sheet copper over a wooden form. I finally did the edges by nipping the side edge and turning tabs, holding the two edges together( with another set of hands ) with the side edge 1/8+" back from the edge of the front piece. Sweat solder the edge from the inside, then peen the front edge over the joint making the corner and go home happy! Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
stanshood_856.jpg  
Old 06-26-2007, 07:18 AM
Professional Member

Wow! Nice work. Thanks I will run that by them and see what he says. I just had an idea to braid a rope of sorts from thin copper strips and set it down along the curve and tack solder it...we'll see. Thanks for the quick reply.