The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Duct Construction and Uses

Duct Construction and Uses
Discussion in fabricating and use of products that move air including spiral pipe, duct board and typical sheet metal work.

Share This Forum!  

Old 03-21-2013, 05:27 AM

Default advantages for using snaplock instead of pittsburgh lock in duct fabrication.

i have been struggling to no end to convince my company of the advantages from a labor respective of fabricating ductwork in our shop with snaplock. of course i am speaking for all the low pressure duct and keeping the medium pressure as pittsburgh. with the majority of the ductwork on most projects being low pressure it just makes sense to use it. i even saw fittings made with snaplock before and that alone from a labor aspect would cut the time it takes to put those fittings together in half. there seems to me to be a ton of money to be made here from the standpoint of labor saved in the fabrication process. i would love some feed back on this. and if anyone knows somewhere i can get some data to support my theory please let me know because unfortunatly that is the only way i will ever convince anyone my theory holds water...
Old 03-21-2013, 10:38 PM

I would have to say using button lock over Pittsburgh is a no brainer as long as it is a low pressure system. When I worked at a major shop in Edmonton that was definitely used for the majority of our product. The only thing we used the Pittsburgh for was on radius fittings, the throats of square elbows and very large duct. Now that I'm on my own I have to use a Pittsburgh again but only because I can't justify the purchase of a button lock machine for my volume... yet.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:24 AM
Professional Member

Default snap lock /button lock

snap lock / button lock
is for sure the best way to go..
even for radius fittings.. you put the flange on the same way as the pittsburg cept you need a longer flange.. the radius button lock machine is the way to go.. puts the flange and dimple in at the same time..
if you dont have the male button locker for the duct you can bend the flange and then manualy button dimple it..

but for sure upgrading to the more modern button lock will save huge amount of time.. for the shop and for the field guys..
hammering pittsburg onsite is a bitch.. hammering button lock is easy..and quick..
and if it does split ..just run a screw through it..

its an investment but in the long run you can compete better for pricing because it is so much faster!
Old 03-22-2013, 10:36 AM
Professional Member

Default hmm

ammunition for snaplock..
tell them to go down to home depot.. or lowes and see what they have for fitting or ductwork..

or anyother place you can buy ready made fitting..
i can bet that they use snaplock!
if the large manufactures are using button lock..well they should know..

i was hired years ago to a shop that got a new owner and hired me on..
they were just purchasing a new plasma table and button lock machines..
the owner could not fathom how the company was still competing for jobs with the old way of doing things..
the older journeyman there just bitched all the time about the plasma and button lock..
fact is i could make fitting 10 times faster than they could now..with no layout..i think they were upset that now they were spending way more time in the field installing and not coming back to the shop in the afternoons to work and drink beer.. i mean get fittings ready for morning..
fitting faxed in from the job site.. would be ready for morning..one guy in the shop(me) could keep up with 2 crews on 2 jobs..they load up in the morning and gone..
i think they missed the layout and shop time..
i remember when they were setting up the plasma i had to make some fitting from layout.. i was so frustrated because i had not done it this way since schol and it seemed archaic..
and then to pittsburg it all .. oh my ! i can see how the old saying was an hour a fitting..

when you could produce 10 fittings ready for assembly through the plasma and button lock in the same time.. at least.. button lock duct.. serious are you pittsburging it.. a small shop witha couple guys in a limited closed market mayby.. but if you are in a larger city that supports many tinsmiths ..you could not compete properly..

my 2 cents..
sheet metal has not made many leaps and bounds in the last 60 years but plasma tables and button lock machines are two that changed things greatly..

yeah i know.. i type to much and to long..and i think my advise is worth listening to..cant help it i think i am getting old!
The Following User Says Thank You to device For This Useful Post:
teeebo69 (04-04-2014)
Old 03-24-2013, 12:10 PM

I bought my LockFormer button lock machine 26 yrs ago and have never had to touch it. Of course I don't crank out huge volumes of ductwork, but it has been a great machine. And as Device stated, you may as well invest in the button lock power flanger as well. Now the power flanger took me awhile to get the hang of it....but now I can do it without looking I never did get to enjoy the sweet sound of a pittsburg hammer...but then again I can still hear great Another plus is I have made many downspouts that look factory made with the button lock as well as a number of other NON-duct projects.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:57 AM
Professional Member

Wink Snap Lock

The shop I started in had both. It seems to me that the only thing a Snap Lock machine couldn't do is radius fittings. dupree
Old 04-01-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactassdupree View Post
The shop I started in had both. It seems to me that the only thing a Snap Lock machine couldn't do is radius fittings. dupree
That is what the button lock flanger does. It forms the flange on a radius and puts the buttons in as well. The female portion of the lock you simply roll in a set of rolls.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:11 PM
Professional Member

Default nice

http://www.flaglercorp.com/flangers.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to device For This Useful Post:
cactassdupree (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 10:44 AM
Professional Member

Wink radius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
That is what the button lock flanger does. It forms the flange on a radius and puts the buttons in as well. The female portion of the lock you simply roll in a set of rolls.
I can see now from the post the machine would be able to turn the 90* and do it on a curve. The machine I was exposed to would only run straight like a Pitts. thanks for the heads up. dupree
Old 08-13-2014, 07:40 PM

At the company I work for they send out all our duct k/d as snap loc and it's a life saver for us guys in the field