The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > A Tinners Porch

A Tinners Porch
Who knows what will come up in porch conversations.

Share This Forum!  

Old 11-30-2005, 09:59 PM

Default anybody out there

hello kodie here does anyone have a job? i have not worked very much this year. the longest job i had was 18 days back in aug. unemploment gone along time ago. 30 members of my local have lost there health ins. i am just holding on hoping something comes up.my ba keeps saying things are looking better. i hope everbody else is doing better. have happy holiday.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:09 AM
ME

Yeah we're here It's historically slow this time of year on the site with the holidays and all.

I've heard this story about "struggling for hours" a few times lately?
Old 12-01-2005, 06:14 AM
Professional Member

I just got whacked yesterday. Superintendent was crying "gloom and doom" and "no work", so I filed for unemployment when I was off. Worked 3 days in the last 2 weeks. Reason for firing: filing for unemployment. Guess I was supposed to sit by the phone waiting for him to dole out some work. He still gets his 40 and the bonus for work done "under hours". I got my bone-us.

I believe the local has taken on too many new apprentices in relation to the volume of work. The "big jobs" are few and far between, and the shops that specialize in the "big work" aren't doing so well. The days of two men on a job also seem to be over, so that cuts down on the number of employees needed at the other shops. Seems like the "delivery guy" is sent out to lend a hand, or the floater comes in one day and goes to another job the next.

All of the immigrants opening their own shop isn't helping matters, either.

I do not relish a potential future of 40 W2 forms a year as employers hire for the short term, run you like a dog and throw you out the instant the job is over. I thought we were a UNION, not a Temp Agency.

Part of me believes this is the start of a long downward spiral for many.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:16 AM
ME

Hey sorry to hear of both of your loss of work...maybe one can concentrate on nitch businesses such as copper or craft work? I hear from some that they are usually busy...I was always contemplating a "Sheet Metal Club" for those who don't have the equipment to start on their own... a monthly maintenance fee where members can have access to the equipment to do there stuff and earn a living? The Milwaukee area used have a similar club for woodworkers? I wonder how the liability would kill this idea...

There has to be something that can be done to ride this out...should it return to those gloomy days.

I can only speak for myself, but we had a lot of good years and as much work as you wanted. Now we have mandatory 13 seer conditions, and higher energy cost...I'm thinking if there is a slow period in building and construction it will soon be offset by new updated energy efficient equipment.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:03 AM
Professional Member

I too am sorry to hear about your loses. I have seen many non union shops slow down a bit here, but its this way every year that I can remember. We had a couple of winters where we stayed really busy but not enough of them. We would take that sacrificial job to keep everyone with a job.

The community shop is a great idea. I have friends in my area that have offered that same idea to me and it works well. Nothing like having your own shop though, I long for it. It is great to have friends in the trade too and it is a pleasure to work with them and share ideas and learn each others methods.

I knew it would be tough trying to start a business this time of year and it is. I hope things get going soon. I have been truely blessed with work and a place to do it and every day is a brand new day. I will not give up on my dream even if I do have to go back and work for someone else for a couple of months. I think it will all work out and the hard times, I know, will make me stronger. Like a wise and dear friend of mine always said, " Tie a knot and hold on" and "If it were easy, everyone would be doing it". As a man thinkith, so is he.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:50 AM

Add me to the list of the unemployed. With the economy being the way it is here it seems a lot of the bigger jobs are being put on hold. I have hopes for early spring. But will probably have a looooong drive.
Wish everyone well.

Plas
Local 66
Old 12-01-2005, 08:57 PM

thanks everyone who replied to my post it picked me up a bit. i have been working in the garage some.window boxes, birdfeeders and birdhouses.i have a 4' finger brake and a couple sheets of copper. i have laidout several patterns. hope to sell stuff on the internet soon.used to be a shopman a few years ago i really enjoyed that kind of work.if anything bending some metal releives the stress of not having a job.good night all.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:14 PM

Wow!Am I in the right place. This is the first time I've ever been laid off for so long. I mean a week or two hear or there maybe a month. But its been 7 months and it don't look to good for the near future. I have been putting up a few copper roofs to keep my own roof over my head. But the last few bids I've given have just about choked the customers. These supposed free estimates that I'm giving take a while to put together especially if its a good size job. And when I can finally give it to them I get the quick brush out the door. Thank god my sasmi check came in. Thanks for letting me moan a bit here , hate to let she who must be obeyed know I feel worthless. I just can't believe I've been out this long. man, I had always been pretty steady with who ever I worked for. I tell you not having a job is a real drag on the physce. I always thought I was BETTER than to be left out to pasture like this. Been in the local for just over 18 years and I've never seen it like this. I've seen guys in the past lose their benefits but never thought it could happen to me. But now I know man, it can happen to anyone if the timing is right, or wrong I should say. Thanks again, hanging out in Local 40.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:42 AM
ME

I wouder how the rest of the country is holding up? I know of a couple of larger companies here in the Milwaukee area that have laid guys off - and no sign of getting better. I heard Phonix and las vegas are the hot spots for work? Any feedback on this?
Old 03-24-2006, 07:50 PM
Professional Member

My sincerest apologies doc9. I hope it picks up for you soon. Bud, our busy season just kicked off this past week. I've started occasional 10 hr days and will soon be on steady 10's. This post is meant to encourage those still waiting. I'm in the southern states, and slabs are poured just slightly earlier in the year. We are picking up. You are right behind us!