The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Sheet Metal Talk

Sheet Metal Talk
General discussion for fabrication and layout work. No advertising on forums, it will be deleted.

Share This Forum!  

Old 06-27-2013, 11:28 AM

Default Stainless Steel Wall Installation

Guys, time and time again I have customers buying SS backsplashes and they always ask me how to mount it in their kitchen. My usual response is "I'm not a carpenter but most people use screws or liquid nails"

Now I have been asked to quote installing 30' x 48" in a commercial kitchen. The existing wall is ceramic tile which the customer wants to keep and install the SS over.

What ways are avaialble to mount the stainless to the wall over ceramic tile? I am thinking of doing this in 20 or 22ga.

Thanks for the tips.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:46 AM
Professional Member

We once put stainless down a hallway to protect the drywall from carts. We used stainless screws with oval heads and separate escutcheons to catch the studs. Sounds like your job is going to be tricky. If you can, maybe locate plastic anchors in the grout lines, and also run silicone caulk over the tiles for a little extra grip. That will clean off later if they want to go back to a tile wall.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Professional Member

Default hmm

do it all the time..

use a glue called staput.. adhesive.. spray the wall spray the back of the stainless let sit to stiffen up then attach.. careful one shot deal .. better be right and square the first time..
dry fit for sure first..
Old 07-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Professional Member

Wink Contact cement

Quote:
Originally Posted by device View Post
do it all the time..

use a glue called staput.. adhesive.. spray the wall spray the back of the stainless let sit to stiffen up then attach.. careful one shot deal .. better be right and square the first time..
dry fit for sure first..
I agree with device. We use to buy a gallon or whatever the job calls for and apply it to the wall and the SS. Let it dry until you can lay the palm of your hand on it and it doesn't feel tacky at all. DRY !! Then line it up and set it in place. It is a one shot try. Sometimes it helps to use some wood dowels or even newspaper to keep the SS and wall from touching while you get it in the right place. If you mess up you have to get some thinner and peal a corner up and if your REAL careful you might be able to save the SS but it's more likely you will lose it. Have to be real gentle and work it off slowly brushing the thinner as you peel. dupree

Tags
backsplash, stainless, wall