The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Sheet Metal Talk

Sheet Metal Talk
General discussion for fabrication and layout work. No advertising on forums, it will be deleted.

Share This Forum!  

Old 12-08-2013, 05:52 PM

Default marking flashing bends

howd`y. new to the site. I just opened up a new shop in our town. I make flashing with a slitter and maual 10` brake. I`d like to hear how guys are marking out their piece`s. I am very fussy and make each piece and each end with a template. although accuate, its slow. thanks
Old 12-08-2013, 06:21 PM

I have always used the Sharpie Ultra Fine RED....the red dries the fastest and is easy to see on galv.
Attached Thumbnails
sh_uf_red_on.jpg  
Old 12-09-2013, 12:32 AM

Default A dab will do ya

Made quite a few miles of flashing.
Mostly 26 and 24 gauge, usually prepainted galvanized.
Used a slitter for many years to cut the strips, until we got a 10' power shear. After that the slitter got dusty from lack of use and all of the cuts were accurate too!
We always used one of the lengths as a pattern on top of two or three blanks, and dabbed* the marks through (*strike scratch awl with hammer)
If there were a lot of pieces, we'd have a guy at each end and nails set into the bench to ensure all the pieces are aligned before dabbing.
I would not call this method accurate, but it always worked out fine for us, and two guys could make a lot of flashing in a day. We built a rig for the front of our break to fold the "S" locks (1" deep pocket for concealed end fasteners)
Old 12-18-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.c.tinbasher View Post
(*strike scratch awl with hammer)
We use these.
And they seem to last forever.

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/C...unch/8351272.p
Old 12-22-2013, 02:24 PM
Professional Member

Once you get enough volume you can easily justify the power shear and Autobrake.

But the best way to mark slitter drops is to run eleven foot tables before and after the slitter so you can cut from one side and slip the rest of the sheet back to the original stack. All your drops will stack nicely on the second table. You probably know to use a slide guide to cut with.

On the drop side once you finish cutting either move the stack to a marking table or use plywood squares underneath your top piece. Use a scratch awl to mark with, use a metal punch to lightly create your pattern marks, and if you plan to make more keep the pattern with the appropriate date and job number written in permanent marker across it.

Keep the pattern on top of the drop stack, slide the plywood under the next two (two guys should work together to get both ends), simple nails to butt the pattern and pieces against on the true side, use the hammer and punch to mark the set, slide the pattern back, one guy removes the last pair (to the brake hangers) and the next guy gets the wood and pattern ready for the next two.

Make yourself some 18 gauge brake hangers to hold stacks of material where you're most easily able to access it. Actually make two sets, a longer set for wide stock, a narrow set for smaller stock widths. You can use both sets a lot of times.

The method works for low volumes. The kicker is the power sheer and Autobrake can handle 3-5 times the work with one guy. And there is no marking step, just a shorter programming step.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattM For This Useful Post:
Bud (12-22-2013), device (12-28-2013)
Old 12-28-2013, 01:10 PM
Professional Member

Default hey

hey missed this post..
welcome to the site..And great to see another member that is so close to me.. man you are like half hour.. I have done lots of work over on slat spring.. ever been to the treehouse cafe.?
Old 12-28-2013, 07:36 PM

Ya I have been there. Is that a place u like or did u do work to their building
Old 12-28-2013, 11:58 PM
Professional Member

Default hey

did a whole lot of work in that kitchen over the years..also did the hotel across the road (hood and exhaust)
andd the sushi joint down the street!
Old 01-03-2014, 04:36 PM
Professional Member

Default Sharpies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
I have always used the Sharpie Ultra Fine RED....the red dries the fastest and is easy to see on galv.
I guess the sharpies work. When I was taught they weren't so sharp and we'd use a scratch awl. I had one Journeyman tell me he wanted to see half the line on the piece and the other half of the line on the drop. I got pretty good at cutting. dupree