The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Sheet Metal Talk

Sheet Metal Talk
General discussion for fabrication and layout work. No advertising on forums, it will be deleted.

Share This Forum!  

Old 09-09-2013, 09:22 PM

Default Looking for some advice about a tool.......

I have a customer that has asked me to fabricate some (Guinea pig) cages.(she is an animal rescuer). She was very nice to my daughter and I when we had questions about hers, she took the time to make sure we were extremely comfortable with him and she gave us her phone number just incase we need anything else. I wanted to do something to help her, she said that she could use some larger cages, so the animals could have the space they need to stretch out... Oh, by the way, she is a non-profit and this is a freebie, so we need to keep the cost down as much as possible. Now she is going to cover her material cost, but my daughter and I will be donating the labor......Here is my question, I want to use 1x1 14gage welded galv wire....I cut my daughter a cage out by hand, my hands hurt for 2 days after that......So I remember that we use to cut screen with a B1 Beverly shear at my old company. I have been looking on EBay for one, but they want $450 and up for a used one.........I found one made by Baileigh for $250, but I just don't know if the quality is the same.......I'm looking for some reviews/advice from someone that may already own one. Is it worth it ????.....Thanks ShoneyBoy
Old 09-09-2013, 10:36 PM
Professional Member

simple.. use an angle grinder with zip cut blades.. i use 3/64 th inch by 5 inch discs in mine..
http://www.kmstools.com/klingspor-5-...ff-wheel-18035
something like this..
Old 09-10-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by device View Post
simple.. use an angle grinder with zip cut blades.. i use 3/64 th inch by 5 inch discs in mine..
http://www.kmstools.com/klingspor-5-...ff-wheel-18035
something like this..
Device, I have a ton of this to cut just to make 1 cage, you have to cut every piece twice to get a clean edge to work with. We are also in discussion to make some more that she will be selling to raise money for her rescue, so this maybe an ongoing thing. I just felt that I would go through a lot of cut off wheels doing it that way and a cost that I cannot continually absorb……… That was when I came up with the ideal of using the Beverly shear……That way there would be no need for consumables………SB
Old 09-10-2013, 04:35 PM
Professional Member

Default ok

have a look at these then..
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Plate-Shear-8-/T23100
Old 11-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Professional Member

The Baleigh machinery is made in china, thus a $450 price tag. Look for a used Roper Whiney or Tennsmith stomp shear... better made an parts are available!