The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Sheet Metal Talk

Sheet Metal Talk
General discussion for fabrication and layout work. No advertising on forums, it will be deleted.

Share This Forum!  

Old 08-21-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
I had to laugh a bit when reading this....a lot of my work is repeat business from local contractors. Usually they bring me good jobs that pays well and occasionally they bring me one pc. and want a couple bends put in it. If I charged them 25-55 bucks for a 5 minute job.....well I am afraid they would not come back. In fact most cases like that I just say "Catch ya next time" My point is...you have to look at the big picture when dealing with your customers, especially in a small town like I am in. This attitude has kept me in business for 32 years and most likely will until I die.
Yeah, good man! way to have the customer in mind
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weldcrazy88 For This Useful Post:
device (08-26-2013), Stickman (08-21-2013)
Old 09-13-2013, 08:56 PM

I mostly do metal flashings for the roofing and siding industry. Usually good size orders but I still get the 1 or 2 piece orders as well. $20 minimum and I charge by the cut size and gauge of steel (24ga-30ga) Anything other than 10' standard cap, window, or drip edges get charged out at $80/hr. Sometimes if an elderly home owner comes in for something small and easy, I'll do it free of charge but I always tape a business card to the metal hoping he'll remember me and tell his friends.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to metalguru For This Useful Post:
cactassdupree (10-31-2013), device (09-14-2013)
Old 09-14-2013, 05:15 AM

we have overhead, and when we do get orders for one-off tiny custom work its usually from a competitor anyway. rolling a truck with two or three ladders, pick boards, roof jacks /ect, and the manpower to set them all up. I think a 150 minimum is reasonable.

Now if someone brought a profile or cut list and their own material to a job site where I was already set up, we might even knock it out for free for one or two bends, but we're on the move and have to charge accordingly.