The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Sheet Metal Talk

Sheet Metal Talk
General discussion for fabrication and layout work. No advertising on forums, it will be deleted.

Share This Forum!  

Old 03-12-2013, 07:33 PM

Default Charging customer per hour and for each bend?

Hi,I was wondering how do you guys charge customers who need to have sheet metal sheared and bend .I usually do 10' or 8' long pieces of 20-26ga out of 4x10 sheets.

Do you charge per each,shear and bend or rather per/hour.

I currently price it per hour,trying to make around $60/h . I have a minimum $60 charge for any job that requires bending.

Thanks for any help,
Old 03-16-2013, 03:55 PM

Well, we do more field work than shop work and projects are usually estimated based on man-hours.

But for really small jobs that come thru the shop, we have a $150 minimum if we are rendering any sheet metal (we mostly do architectural copper and brass)
Old 03-16-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis View Post
Well, we do more field work than shop work and projects are usually estimated based on man-hours.

But for really small jobs that come thru the shop, we have a $150 minimum if we are rendering any sheet metal (we mostly do architectural copper and brass)
80% of my work ,is bending sheet metal for roofers.Shops around me would charge for a simple window head flashing from 25$ to 55$ a piece for labor. I just bought a 16ga brake recently, so I' m just trying to find out how other shops calculate their prices.thanks,
Old 03-17-2013, 10:45 AM

I had to laugh a bit when reading this....a lot of my work is repeat business from local contractors. Usually they bring me good jobs that pays well and occasionally they bring me one pc. and want a couple bends put in it. If I charged them 25-55 bucks for a 5 minute job.....well I am afraid they would not come back. In fact most cases like that I just say "Catch ya next time" My point is...you have to look at the big picture when dealing with your customers, especially in a small town like I am in. This attitude has kept me in business for 32 years and most likely will until I die.
Bud (03-17-2013), cactassdupree (03-18-2013), device (03-17-2013)
Old 03-17-2013, 11:55 AM

Thumbs up

Well said Stickman.
The Following User Says Thank You to GA-TIN For This Useful Post:
Stickman (03-17-2013)
Old 03-17-2013, 12:10 PM
Professional Member

Default hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
I had to laugh a bit when reading this....a lot of my work is repeat business from local contractors. Usually they bring me good jobs that pays well and occasionally they bring me one pc. and want a couple bends put in it. If I charged them 25-55 bucks for a 5 minute job.....well I am afraid they would not come back. In fact most cases like that I just say "Catch ya next time" My point is...you have to look at the big picture when dealing with your customers, especially in a small town like I am in. This attitude has kept me in business for 32 years and most likely will until I die.
i am the same way! sometimes for a cut or bend i saw just bring me coffee for my machine..
or sometimes customers call first to see if i am at shop and bring me coffee and donuts i even have a guy that gets his wife to make me lunch.. but when i get legitimate jobs that i have to order material or take sometime to do i charge half hour min.. plus materials ( or i quote it)..and thats after they get in the cue..

its just not worth the paperwork sometimes.. but they bring you big jobs and spread the word.. in smaller cities.. or towns it has to be this way..your name is out there and people talk, and being know as a good guy is not so bad..
Old 03-17-2013, 12:15 PM
Professional Member

Default hmm

i have had many many elderly walk in and want a chair fixed or table or something that is a 5-10 min fix..(teapot,saucepan)

then they reach in their pocket to give me something.. i shoo them away and say mayby when
or if i get to reach a long life as them someone might do the same..

i understand we all run on money.. but 20 -30 bucks here and there is not going to break us..
and not that i do it for this reason but.. you get payback ten fold..its how the world should work..
cheers
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to device For This Useful Post:
Bud (03-17-2013), Stickman (03-17-2013), wmckane (03-18-2013)
Old 03-17-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Roofers usually bring me more then one piece to make. A minimun of 10 pieces. $25-55 a piece seems a little too much.That is the reason why I bought a big brake,as I was losing metal jobs to people who have had heavy duty brakes. I guess i'll stick to $60/h fro now. It seems a fair price for me and for my customers.Thanks.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Professional Member

Wink Yeah

Quote:
I use to tell then keep it but remember us when you need a roof . Got a few jobs that way. Now if someone wants somethig that takes over a few bends he'd get charged. Back in the early 90's I heard the boss thell a guy a buck a bend and a buck a cut. Hemming something was 2 operations so $2. dupree
Old 06-29-2013, 06:46 AM
Professional Member

I'm into fabricating and installing only. Very seldom do I just fabricate for some one else but I do have two roofing contractors I make stuff for and I have them bring me the material, always 24 ga. painted (some weird color) or copper. I charge them around 1.00 per ft to cut and bend all flashing's, and I'm cheaper than any shop in New Orleans but more importantly I get it done quickly and there's no waiting. I make triangle roof vents and conductor heads for them using there material at 125.00 ea. and 250.00 for radius vents. I also install for these guys when I haven't any of my own work. But they can't wait for me always and get the Mexicans to install and me to repair behind them. I also don't work cheap for wealthy people who are shopping prices, I'll starve first.