The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Sheet Metal Machinery Talk

Sheet Metal Machinery Talk
Discussion on Metal Fabrication Machinery including Q&A on maintenance and repairs. Plasma, Lock Formers, Brakes, ect.

Share This Forum!  

Old 06-26-2012, 05:25 PM

Default Radius brake construction

I do not have the cornice forms for either of my brakes. No spare hands around here either, so a radius brake looks appealing. Tried to do some simple coves using the forming rig mentioned in one of Neubeckers books. This chinese galv has always seems harder than the old US made sheetmetal I started with as a kid. Against the grain it was a hopeless mess, with the grain it went alright for a short piece of 26ga galv. Need to go heavier for structural strength of the work and would like to complement my 6' finger break for work length.

Anybody seen a good adjustable radius brake? There was some info on making one in the metalmeet site years ago, lost the info in numerous computer crashes. It was a 4'er suitable for rocker panel work, 20 ga. It was adjustable and quick to work with. Any ideas or links to plans, photos, talk? I'd like to make one this week.

Thanks,

Alan
Old 06-27-2012, 10:08 AM

Found the two metalhead radius benders. Not suitable for my purposes. The trick-tools radius brake is a great buy at $2100 for a 900# brake. Just don't have $2500 to spare right now. Their adjustment means is simple enough, anyone have one that could be talked into taking a photo of the end mechanism? It's just two threaded rods to set the spacing. Would like to see what the heft in material is in this area of the brake. Theirs is rated for 18-16 ga and can even bend 1/4" steel flat iron on one end. Don't need that kind of beef, just curious what they have found necessary.

Could find any patents on roller radius brakes, if their was a patent number in the instruction manual or on the machine plate, that would help.

Their unit does not seem to have a hold down bar, but might have a back stop.

Thanks, headed to the junk yard before it hits 100,

Alan
Old 07-04-2012, 11:14 AM

I did find a design on a hot rod site, but it did not provide for an easy way to use different radii formers with any ease. Making it do so would but you on a scale of construction with the trick tools unit which is very reasonably priced and does heavy stock also. Maybe one can be found used somewhere. New is actually quite affordable for what you get. They must be importing them, only $2.25/#!

Alan