The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Tinsmith Avenue

Tinsmith Avenue For those seeking knowledge on past techniques used by yesteryears tinsmiths. The history of Tinsmith goes back in time farther then this place can travel, but for those who want to explore, please share your findings here.

Share This Forum!  

Old 09-22-2006, 07:27 PM

Default lineset roof flashings

i would like to get some ideas on roof flashings. we have a commercial building with fan coil units inside and heat pumps outside on the roof. what kind of options do i have for a roof jack to run our linesets through. we do get snow and rain here in Oregon so they would have to be " waterproof ". also the building has a metal roof.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:32 PM
ME

We used to make a 4 x 10 box a few inches high and capable of putting an end cap on, the opening on the top would allow us to turn the fittings and penetrate the sides of the box and then seal the cap in place?

The box would be flashed as usual?
Old 09-23-2006, 08:13 AM
Professional Member

We have used systems similar to the attached pdf.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf pplus_850.pdf (79.5 KB, 55 views)
Old 09-24-2006, 04:24 AM
Professional Member

There's always the classic pitch pan. Take a strip of metal similar to the roof material, turn ~1" flange to the inside, surround the linesets and fasten to the roof through the flange, fill with 2-part mix that hardens into a seal all around the pipes. Make any sense?
Old 09-25-2006, 07:53 PM
Professional Member

steve2--------way back when...............when most commercial roofs were built-up(tar&gravel) we supplied & installed the pitch pockets and the roofer filled them..These metal roofs nowadays,I like those deck-mate
flashings. They really conform to the decking even if you hit a rib.Not talking standing seam here..We also switched to gutter seal which is a butyl rubber compound..Much better than silicone(my opinion)Early 60's
we used a two part mix by Thiocol. Much like gutter caulk..
bordontn
Old 09-26-2006, 12:52 PM
Professional Member

I was concerned about the mixing of metals with the aluminum flanges on the deck-mate boots. The mix we used most recently tho was a two part made to be compatable with EPDM roofing material. It turned into a rubber like mass.
However bordontn, the thing I like best nowadays is how little I have to worry about roofing matters!!
Old 09-26-2006, 06:13 PM
Professional Member

Some curb companies can make curbs that have the same profile as your roof.

Pate curbs has a nice plastic top that fits over a standard 12 x 12 or so roof curb with rubber covers for the portals on top.

The silicone boots that are screwed down also seem work well. Try to place it on a flat spot.

Do not use silicone sealant. Polyurethane is the way to go. Make sure that what you choose is UV stable. Plenty of info on caulking compounds at www.sealantsandcoatings.com
Old 11-20-2009, 12:31 AM

You guys are making things too complicated for yourselves. Look up "deck-tite" or "flasher" brands, they make a boot like product that conforms to the rib of the metal roofing. It is made of epdm rubber, just install it using sikaflex or NP-1 sealant and it will last over 25 years. They also make a zipper style decktite that allows you to flash a existing penetration that can not be disconected (like a line set or power supply). They cost maybe 30 bucks at the most and make you job look proffesional. Pitch pockets went out of style on metal roofs decades ago, and probably would void the warrenty on the roofing system. Also if this is in an area that recieves any amount of snow, then there is a good chance that any penetrations through the roof will require a snow splitter. I have seen 3inch schedule 40 pipe get ripped off a metal roof on a 1:12 pitch. Look at the rest of the roof, if the plumbers penetrations got them, then you better put them on and save yourself a call back. Just my two cents, but trust me on this one.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:44 PM
Professional Member

Default lineset roof flashings

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbelle
i would like to get some ideas on roof flashings. we have a commercial building with fan coil units inside and heat pumps outside on the roof. what kind of options do i have for a roof jack to run our linesets through. we do get snow and rain here in Oregon so they would have to be " waterproof ". also the building has a metal roof.
Being a "commercial" roof, me being from The Great State of Florida, I'm thinking it's a Flat roof. Iuse to do the penatration like Bud explained. That is until I har the Pipe Fitters would run out the side of the box and UP to the unit. That would create a water tunnel down the pipe and into the building. Not acceptable, I now build a flashing that is square, say 8"X8". This is about 10 " tall. (i hem the top). Them I build a "shoebox that is say 8"X12" about 8 " deep. I place the shoebox on top of the flashing with about a 2"lap. This makes the fitter create a "Drip Loop" with their pipe so the water can't run in. I adjust the contraption to fit the need. I can even have multipule sides for the pipes to exit for more than 1 unit. Get it? it?? dupree :roll:
Old 11-21-2009, 01:42 AM
Professional Member

Pitch pans around here are typically a 2" roof-side flange that the roofers drop a square patch over - one that is at least four inches wider than the inside dimensions of the pitchpan all the way around - it with a cutout matching the pitchpan. This seams around the pitch pan. When they are done with the roof penetration and want to seal it they dump hot into the pitch pan and fill it just enough to form a bulge over it. This keeps water off of the penetration.