The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Tinsmith Avenue

Tinsmith Avenue For those seeking knowledge on past techniques used by yesteryears tinsmiths. The history of Tinsmith goes back in time farther then this place can travel, but for those who want to explore, please share your findings here.

Share This Forum!  

Old 02-10-2010, 01:46 PM

Default Another newbie

Hey guys, I just found this site and I must say I am impressed talent in this place. I've been sheet metal mechanic for quite a few years and this is the kind of stuff that really gets me going. I'm hoping to get some feedback on my accomplishments -even constructive criticism so I can learn even more.
Attached Thumbnails
image014_196.jpg   image037_155.jpg   image013_101.jpg   image012_181.jpg   image022_593.jpg  

image032_126.jpg  
Old 02-10-2010, 04:33 PM
ME

Metaldiva, thanks for joining us and welcome to TheSheetMetalShop.. The work looks GREAT thanks for sharing. Hope you keep stopping in

Was the layout done on the bench or plasma?
Old 02-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Professional Member

Work looks very professional. I would let you make a kitchen hood for me if you were in my area.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:43 AM
Professional Member

Nice work,classic look.
What did you use to hammer it with,press?
Old 02-11-2010, 05:04 PM
Professional Member

Very nice!! How did you get the finishes? What metal did you use? Oh Yeah! Welcome. dupree
Old 02-12-2010, 06:52 AM

All layout and cutting was done by hand and each little dimple was hammered by my own very tired arm and a ball peen hammer. The color finishes were achieved by using products by ShurFin . The finishes are the hardest part cause it takes a few times of applying and then taking everything off and re applying. But then I am my own worst critic.ainting:
Old 02-12-2010, 04:31 PM
Professional Member

I made a copper hood for a client back in the 80's. We beat it with ballpeen hammers, welders hammers, and towing chains to give it a beat up look. The guy loved it. We just let it patina natural. I looked up lehigh acres and found you are on the other side of Lake Okeechobee from me. I'm in palm beach county. Do you own your shop? dupree
Old 02-12-2010, 04:45 PM

Unfortunately no. At the time I made these hoods I was employed by a company called Oney Sheet Metal. I worked for them for 25 years and now I want to go it alone. It's been tough because I dont have access to all the fun tools needed to do it. I have a small makeshift shop in the garage with welders, compressors,
a small (32") break, roller and shear combo and can only do small stuff. But I'm not whupped yet. I still have dreams and aspriations of owning my own place. One day.......
Old 02-23-2010, 08:57 PM

Metaldiva- Great Work- how did you seam the corners? I'm thinking of doing a smaller hood in my own kitchen out of brass. I have quite a bit of it left over from a previous project. "I still have dreams and aspriations of owning my own place. One day.......
" Make sure you have the work! Been there, done that! lol. Didn't make much $$, but had almost no stress either. Now I'm back in a larger shop again, same story as before. Seems like there isn't a happy medium...