The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk
 


Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Trade Test and Certification > Canadian Red Seal Exam

Canadian Red Seal Exam Talk about the test here.


Share This Forum!  
 
 
     

 

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #151  
Old 02-09-2011, 06:55 PM
lawrencee lawrencee is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: st.john's
Posts: 28
Thanks: 1
Thanked 18 Times in 8 Posts
Default

hey to be quite honest with you mike there's not a whole lot on pattern development be able to pick out what pattern is for what fitting, know about square to round development and know about round 90's,know how to convert cfm to fpm,know what equivalent length is,know welding processes,what types of acids for different metal,be able to read a psychrometric chart,know about flashing and gutters.....oh and make sure you know Pythagorean thrum alot of questions use that
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lawrencee For This Useful Post:
mike39 (02-09-2011)
  #152  
Old 02-09-2011, 06:58 PM
lawrencee lawrencee is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: st.john's
Posts: 28
Thanks: 1
Thanked 18 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactassdupree View Post
i call a truce. dupree
i agree truce lol all this studying got my brain drained
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 02-09-2011, 07:17 PM
mike39 mike39 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary,AB
Posts: 27
Thanks: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hey Dad. Nope, not Ontario, Calgary. Wish it was Ontario, though. The tinners I met from there told me things were done quite a bit different out that way. From what I understood, a crew would go and rough in the house, getting everything to the basement, and then another crew(or sometimes the same crew) would come back at a later date, once the house was sealed, and install the furnace and ductwork. I was also told by ON. installers that their contract price on the basements was more than my contract price on the whole house. Never saw anyone from ON. stay in hew housing for long.

I rarely worked on concrete(only the high end builders poured their basement), went through fibreglass ladders like water, and misplaced numerous tools in water filled basements.

Sadly, the construction market in Calgary has all but dried up, so I have moved back to the interior of BC. Not much work here either.
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 02-09-2011, 07:35 PM
Rob's Avatar
Rob Rob is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ottawa Valley, Eastern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 447
Thanks: 42
Thanked 74 Times in 55 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike39 View Post
Hey Dad. Nope, not Ontario, Calgary. Wish it was Ontario, though. The tinners I met from there told me things were done quite a bit different out that way. From what I understood, a crew would go and rough in the house, getting everything to the basement, and then another crew(or sometimes the same crew) would come back at a later date, once the house was sealed, and install the furnace and ductwork. I was also told by ON. installers that their contract price on the basements was more than my contract price on the whole house. Never saw anyone from ON. stay in hew housing for long.

I rarely worked on concrete(only the high end builders poured their basement), went through fibreglass ladders like water, and misplaced numerous tools in water filled basements.

Sadly, the construction market in Calgary has all but dried up, so I have moved back to the interior of BC. Not much work here either.
The reason I asked about Ontario is because there is talk about a new 'residential' sheet metal license in the works.
It may have already been implemented.
I don't know the details, but I will update.
You and lawrencee should come to the Valley and help me.
I've got more work than I can handle.
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 02-09-2011, 07:40 PM
mike39 mike39 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary,AB
Posts: 27
Thanks: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrencee View Post
hey to be quite honest with you mike there's not a whole lot on pattern development be able to pick out what pattern is for what fitting, know about square to round development and know about round 90's,know how to convert cfm to fpm,know what equivalent length is,know welding processes,what types of acids for different metal,be able to read a psychrometric chart,know about flashing and gutters.....oh and make sure you know Pythagorean thrum alot of questions use that
Thanks Lawrence, that's helpful info. I have dove into a lot of reading on pattern development, and as soon as I can find a tremmel I'm going to make myself some construction paper fittings! It won't be hard to imagine it's sheet metal, and that will have to do until I can get some shop experience. The welding I'm not sure about, because I took it 20 some years ago in high school, and it is definitley not my forte. Some of that other stuff I have to look up though.
My biggest problem right now is heat loss calculations, and even if they're not on the test, I really want to know how to do this. I can pretty much size the duct from the very last heat run back, but furnace sizing was usually based on experience.
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 02-09-2011, 07:45 PM
mike39 mike39 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary,AB
Posts: 27
Thanks: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
The reason I asked about Ontario is because there is talk about a new 'residential' sheet metal license in the works.
It may have already been implemented.
I don't know the details, but I will update.
You and lawrencee should come to the Valley and help me.
I've got more work than I can handle.
That's very interesting, Dad. Please keep me informed, because that's right up my alley. I like my resi work!
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 02-10-2011, 03:48 PM
mike39 mike39 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary,AB
Posts: 27
Thanks: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Sample test

Hey, just found this online; haven't seen it in here yet. I've seen talk of grouping all these sample questions together, but I haven't found where that is yet, so I'm throwing it up here.


http://www.johnrwhite.net/Practice%20HVAC%20exam.html
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 02-10-2011, 04:07 PM
lawrencee lawrencee is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: st.john's
Posts: 28
Thanks: 1
Thanked 18 Times in 8 Posts
Default

i have tried this exam and although good stuff the red seal one is better

http://www.red-seal.ca/images/Sample...heetMetal.html

ive got a rewrite coming up on the 22 and they dont ask anything like the sample you put up that one must be from the states
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 02-10-2011, 06:28 PM
mike39 mike39 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary,AB
Posts: 27
Thanks: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks lawrencee. I'd have to agree with you on the test I put up. I think it is american. Still, some pretty good questions, and a few of them flat out stumped me.
Good luck on your re-write.
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 02-10-2011, 07:03 PM
lawrencee lawrencee is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: st.john's
Posts: 28
Thanks: 1
Thanked 18 Times in 8 Posts
Default

i have a binder full of questions off my exam.... i wrote down when i got out of writing the first time.but i have my binder left at work today so i will bring it home tmw and i will post what ever questions i can over the week end so just keep checking in.i dont mind posting them up for you guys seeing all the help you all gave me in finding my answers to the questions i dident know.... thanks to all you guys
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
canadian red seal, exam

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.