Sheetmetal Talk

Sheetmetal Talk (http://www.sheetmetaltalk.com/index.php)
-   A Tinners Porch (http://www.sheetmetaltalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   sharpening snips (http://www.sheetmetaltalk.com/showthread.php?t=2238)

wmckane 03-11-2012 04:12 PM

sharpening snips
 
A while ago the Klenks factory was local. You could have your snips sharpened---they would even do Wiss bulldogs---or you could exchange them for resharpened ones, either one for a small price. Now they're gone to the Midwest and I have multiple pairs that need work. Hate to scrap them and hate to buy any more. Does anyone sharpen their own and have some pointers? I've also thought about the possibility of doing this as a sideline when I stop crawling through service levels, so a couple more questions: if there was such a service would you use it, and what would it be worth to you?

tinstructor 03-11-2012 09:08 PM

Snip sharpening method
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wmckane (Post 14446)
A while ago the Klenks factory was local. You could have your snips sharpened---they would even do Wiss bulldogs---or you could exchange them for resharpened ones, either one for a small price. Now they're gone to the Midwest and I have multiple pairs that need work. Hate to scrap them and hate to buy any more. Does anyone sharpen their own and have some pointers? I've also thought about the possibility of doing this as a sideline when I stop crawling through service levels, so a couple more questions: if there was such a service would you use it, and what would it be worth to you?

Hey Bill,...for bull snips I've sharpened many pairs over the years, and a rather fine SINGLE CUT file will do the job very nicely.

The trick is to stroke LEVEL toward the OUTSIDE of the blade with the snips in the upright cutting position.For a right -hander this will be a natural movement. You'll be stroking across the top narrow side of the blade,NEVER across the inside long face.

Hold the snips at the edge of the bench so you can let one arm drop down vertical, exposing the full length of the other blade

Light downward pressure, and just 2 to 4 strokes or so, is all that is required. Too many unnecessary strokes can waste good cutting surface and even worse,cause them not to cut all the way to the very tip.

roofermarc 03-12-2012 07:29 AM

I personally aint never sharpened a pair of snips and never knew you could. I used to buy two pairs a yr. of klenks but have switched to malco 2000 and never looked back, going on one yr. with the same pair, imagine if I could sharpen them.

Rob 03-12-2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roofermarc (Post 14454)
I personally aint never sharpened a pair of snips and never knew you could.

Same here.
I have a set of duckbills that were given to me over 30 years ago, and I use them daily, and they have never been sharpened.
I can cut paper with them.
If you sharpen aviation snips, doesn't that put them out of alignment?

Rob 03-12-2012 05:43 PM

Sorry tinstructor, I posted before reading your post in full.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinstructor (Post 14447)
Light downward pressure, and just 2 to 4 strokes or so, is all that is required. Too many unnecessary strokes can waste good cutting surface and even worse,cause them not to cut all the way to the very tip.


cactassdupree 03-16-2012 09:59 AM

me too
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tinstructor (Post 14447)
Hey Bill,...for bull snips I've sharpened many pairs over the years, and a rather fine SINGLE CUT file will do the job very nicely.

The trick is to stroke LEVEL toward the OUTSIDE of the blade with the snips in the upright cutting position.For a right -hander this will be a natural movement. You'll be stroking across the top narrow side of the blade,NEVER across the inside long face.

Hold the snips at the edge of the bench so you can let one arm drop down vertical, exposing the full length of the other blade

Light downward pressure, and just 2 to 4 strokes or so, is all that is required. Too many unnecessary strokes can waste good cutting surface and even worse,cause them not to cut all the way to the very tip.

1 other suggestion is I would use a vise to hold them rather than just letting them hang over the end of a bench.

Snips use to be made so you could tighten the bolt and it would bring the blades together. Then you would tighten the nut to lock them (the blades) in place. :) dupree

sheetmental 04-07-2012 01:20 AM

i remember klenks when they were on germay drive. i worked directly across the street at the now defunct delcard associates. i used to trade them scrap metal for prototype tools all the time. they made great snips, (far superior to wiss) before the grandson sold out to that company in ohio. the snips they produce today are not nearly as good quality, and imo, aren't worth sharpening. the thing that made klenks cut so well was the teeth on the blade. they were tall, but also very durable. even as expensive as things are here in toronto, i can still buy wiss for $12. for $12, if i have to buy new snips once a year, i won't complain.

Rob 04-07-2012 06:50 PM

I've tried all different kinds of snips, but I always go back to Wiss.
I guess it's all about familiarity.
The Wiss snips have had spring issues in the past, but I haven't noticed that lately.
I wish I could buy them for $12 though.
I bought a pair at CT today for $17.

wmckane 04-08-2012 05:27 PM

Sheetmental, we probably passed each other a few times on Germay Drive. I was at Pencader Contractors in Newark from 1989 to 2004 and used to go to Klenks from time to time to trade for resharpened pairs. Agreed about the teeth on the snips and the drop off in quality. I remember cutting a piece of s-cleat (probably 28 ga.?) sometime around 2005 with a brand-spankin'-new-never-used lefthand....it snapped. Literally, I'd bought it on the way to the job. The counter guy at the local branch of the wholesaler gave me a hard time for wanting to cut more than one thickness at a time. This was the Delaware beach area, where they sell lots of ductboard, which leads to a personal rant: that stuff should be outlawed. Anyway, I guess next time I'll try some Wiss.

sheetmental 04-13-2012 08:33 AM

ahh, pencader, it's been a long time, but i remember that outfit! one of the few decent outfits in delaware that i didn't work for. hahahahaha

i totally agree on the duct board thing. in my residential days (fredericks, glazer bros)
i removed alot of it. after many years of heat/cool/humidify that stuff just gets soggy. not to mention the whole breathing thing. it's definitely bad news. it's amazing how it can jam really long fiberglass splinters into your hands.


hey rob, do you mean crappy tire is where you get your wiss? i get mine there too. (now)
and your right normally $17 i got mine on an in store sale last time, after danforth roofing tried to charge me $23+


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.