Sheetmetal Talk

Sheetmetal Talk (http://www.sheetmetaltalk.com/index.php)
-   Kinks (http://www.sheetmetaltalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Pop Rivet Gun (http://www.sheetmetaltalk.com/showthread.php?t=2317)

Rob 09-01-2012 04:43 PM

Pop Rivet Gun

I'm having bad luck with pop rivet guns lately.
This year I think we have gone through 6 of them.
The last one (today) was brand new and was good for 8 rivets before the head split apart.
The last 3 were Mastercraft. They come with a free replacement warranty, which is great, but it's very annoying and the lady at the customer service desk at CT is getting tired of looking at me.
So, who knows of a good, reliable pop rivet gun brand?

Milo 09-01-2012 09:29 PM

I like my Marson HP2 (which I used to replace some of the crappy HF ones that always "slipped" on the rivets or self destructed). The only thing is that I believe Marson moved the manufacturing of this gun to the Pacific rim so Im not sure if the quality is still as good (the one I bought was NOS off of ebay and still was made in MA USA...they are still marked this way on the gun but packaging states Made in Tiawan).

Another choice may be http://malcoproducts.com/product/hva...riviter-2-in-1 Pricey, and made in USA(last that I knew) but reviews by others seem to be good. ( I have never used one of these.)

Milo

roofermarc 09-02-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob (Post 14954)
I'm having bad luck with pop rivet guns lately.
This year I think we have gone through 6 of them.
The last one (today) was brand new and was good for 8 rivets before the head split apart.
The last 3 were Mastercraft. They come with a free replacement warranty, which is great, but it's very annoying and the lady at the customer service desk at CT is getting tired of looking at me.
So, who knows of a good, reliable pop rivet gun brand?

I think it's a gelispie is what I use, its big and goofy but will last a full 2 yrs. They msrp at about 70 but theirs one on the bay for 50. Made in Scandinavia or Germany.

wmckane 09-02-2012 01:06 PM

I've been using a Malco after two bad experiences with Sears. So far it's doing well--about two years--and it's had some heavy use. Cost around $50 I think.

tinnerjohn 09-02-2012 04:46 PM

My Marson (looks like the HP2, but nos. are gone) is probably close to 25 years old and still going strong, although I do use zip screws a lot more than rivets now. The only repair has been to replace the jaws a couple times, but I've used it for 1/8" and 3/16" steel and aluminum rivets. Besides the durability, I like being able to adjust the setting speed. Makes the big rivets a lot easier. Their Big Daddy is also very good for 3/16 and 1/4" use. John

roofermarc 09-02-2012 04:49 PM

I bought a malco and returned it the same day about ten yrs ago, bought another one 4 yrs. ago as a back up to my main one, used it one time and it broke. I purchased a duro dyne last month, 10 ss rivetes and it's done too. I don't know what to do as my gesespie is done now also.

Rob 09-02-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roofermarc (Post 14960)
I bought a malco and returned it the same day about ten yrs ago, bought another one 4 yrs. ago as a back up to my main one, used it one time and it broke. I purchased a duro dyne last month, 10 ss rivetes and it's done too. I don't know what to do as my gesespie is done now also.

Looks like all of us are surrounded by junk manufacturing.
The first gun I had was as old as dirt, but was a workhorse.
One day it disappeared.
I don't remember what brand it was, but it can be seen here:
http://www.ehow.com/video_4951872_us...rivet-gun.html

Sometimes you have to wait for the annoying advertisement.

roofermarc 09-05-2012 05:07 AM

Best rivet gun ever! Mabey?

4 Attachment(s)
I returned my duro dyne for a full credit applied to this one, if your helper pops a rivet without unloading, you will have a broken gun. I found 4 pins in my first one when it broke and the last one worked fine for several yrs. then one day as we were finishing I noticed my assistant used it one time, never worked right since. You have to inform anyone to unload it because some guys can't think for themselves. All you do is pull back on the handles and the pin shoots out, you can use that little plastic pc. to catch an expelled round if you want, but I don't. I'm gonna attach an engraved sign on this one to UNLOAD it !@#$. This thing is a joy to work with.

wmckane 09-05-2012 06:42 PM

Does it have multiple tips?

smwlocal24 09-06-2012 02:15 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I like the POP brand rivet guns. However, the Powerlink30 isn't manufactured any longer as far as I know, and the one I currently use the PRP26A doesn't seem to be available many places. They also have a PS15 which is has much better availability but I am unsure of its reliability. I have to replace parts on my PRP26A every 12-24 months under heavy use with primarily painted stainless steel 1/8" rivets. I don't think there are other sized heads for the PRP26A but the other two models do have the other sized heads. The Powerlink30 used to go for about $30, the PS15 is about $30, and the PRP26A was about $60 at a local store but I bought mine about 4 years ago whenever the Powerlink30 was discontinued.