Sheetmetal Talk

Sheetmetal Talk (http://www.sheetmetaltalk.com/index.php)
-   Metal Roofs (http://www.sheetmetaltalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Sheet Metal Roofs (new forum) (http://www.sheetmetaltalk.com/showthread.php?t=1429)

Bud 06-27-2009 06:44 AM

Sheet Metal Roofs (new forum)

I realize there are or have been some discussions on sheet metal roofs throughout the forums but thought it might be nice for us to have a seperate forum for promoting roofing with sheet metal.

Maybe we can help some make that informed purchasing decision and convince them the benefits of sheet metal roofs.

Basher 06-27-2009 06:38 PM

What are the benefits of sheet metal roofs?

Bud 06-28-2009 06:57 AM

I'm no expert in this area, but from what I read and have seen in the past sheet metal roofs can last up to 40 years if installed properly. One fall back was concern of corrosion - but that too falls into having the right products for the job and proper installation.

http://www.facilitiesnet.com/roofing...-Roofing--9805

and let's not forget the "sheet metal workers" :) that might more then likely install the roofing. A lot of roofing companies have seperate sheet metal divisons.

locklin 06-28-2009 03:11 PM

Money in a Tinners pocket is 1 benefit!

cactassdupree 06-28-2009 04:17 PM

$$$

when I went to tade school there was a quote from Ben Franklin. I think it went: "He who hath a trade hath an estate." dupree :)

Bounder 06-29-2009 10:14 AM

The last sheet metal roof I fabricated was expected to last 150 to 200 years depending upon acid rain. The material is lead coated copper, looks like galvanized in color but fabricates like copper for the most part. It is installed on the rear section of the Indian King Tavern in Haddonfield NJ. The Tavern goes back before the Revolution and at one time was where the legislators for the colonies of NJ met when Trenton was overrun . It was also occupied by Hessian Troops for a while at least once maybe twice.

The road in front is Kings Highway, the name goes back 300 years + .

I also fabricated duct work out of lead coated copper for Convention Hall in Atlantic City NJ. Convention Hall sits right at the beach front, the duct was expected to last 50 years under those conditions. Fabing large duct out of the soft material was no fun.

device 06-29-2009 06:55 PM

in areas of heavy snowfall metal roofs are a added feature..
the heavy snowwill roll off the roof , lessening the load on the house rafters..
metal roofs stand up better to high wind( hurricanes) and heavy downpours.. they do not shed particles and clog drains.
when they fade you can always just repaint them..

Bounder 07-02-2009 09:10 AM

Metal roof also will not burn unlike cedar shakes.

Only down side I can think of is they can be noisy in a rain storm.

My house is 115 years old and still has two orginal metal roofs over the front and rear porches, the slate roof on the house lasted 90 years.

tnsam75 07-03-2009 03:29 PM

I'd be plenty happy to see more of this stuff on the site. I work specialty in a sheet metal shop for a roofing supply co. We run several types of panels and make all the related flashings and such. I always come here for advice when I'm stuck, and I always get my questions answered. But often, I do feel kinda like an outsider here from being totally unfamiliar with HVAC.

Bud 07-03-2009 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnsam75
I'd be plenty happy to see more of this stuff on the site. I work specialty in a sheet metal shop for a roofing supply co. We run several types of panels and make all the related flashings and such. I always come here for advice when I'm stuck, and I always get my questions answered. But often, I do feel kinda like an outsider here from being totally unfamiliar with HVAC.

Welcome and hopefully we can make it work for you more as we grow this forum. Thanks for stopping by.

What types of machinery do you use to run your products?