PDA

View Full Version : stamping louvers

mbmulloy
04-05-2006, 11:20 PM
I'm trying to switch over to louvers from expanded metal, that is used on some of the doors on my 1984 thomas schoolbus and I'm converting it to a RV motorhome.

Finding the tools to make my own louvers has proved to be quite a challenge.

Any help will sure be appreciated locating the fabricating tools necessary for making louvers.

Metal thickness of the panels will be approximately .050 or thinner

burninbriar
04-06-2006, 07:24 AM
Have you checked the used equipment brokers like Batavia or Industrial machine ? You can surely buy a set cheaper than fabricating one.
You will need strong steel prossibly 4150 and a machine shop to cut it into a stamp & die. If you just have a shop press I would make it just big enough for one, maybe two louvers at a time. A louver cutter can cause a lot of distortion, especially if it is a crudely made spur of the moment thing.
Best of luck on youre project, I hope some one can help you more than me.
Pete :

Looking back, I think I missread the post, oh well, good luck finding the louver cutter. are you looking for new or used equipment ?

mbmulloy
04-06-2006, 10:51 AM
Hi thanks for the reply -- as a retiree and a home shop project I will be looking for the most inexpensive solution.

burninbriar
04-08-2006, 08:56 PM
I was just looking at eastwoods website and saw louver dies for a bead roller. Thought you might be interested in something like these.
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=612&itemType=CATEGORY&iMainCat=608&iSubCat=612&page=19

martyg
04-15-2006, 06:06 PM
somtime s they popup on ebay.
martyg

mbmulloy
04-16-2006, 05:56 PM
great info thanks to all