PDA

View Full Version : Blow pipe fitting question

striker12300
04-29-2011, 06:35 AM
We have to make a fitting for our vac system for our laser. Does anyone know if one style is better than the other. We have the software to make either one with no problem. What do you think? Don't know why the pic rotated.

roofermarc
04-29-2011, 04:36 PM
We have to make a fitting for our vac system for our laser. Does anyone know if one style is better than the other. We have the software to make either one with no problem. What do you think? Don't know why the pic rotated.
Would airflow restriction be of concern? If so, I'd fabricate with that in mind. Not quite sure what a vac system is though. I'm still of the dinosaur type.

striker12300
05-01-2011, 05:34 AM
Would airflow restriction be of concern? If so, I'd fabricate with that in mind. Not quite sure what a vac system is though. I'm still of the dinosaur type.
It's the vacuum system for our laser. Right now we have one line going to the laser bed and with this fitting we're going to have one to the laser bed and one to the laser head.

cactassdupree
05-01-2011, 05:40 AM
It's the vacuum system for our laser. Right now we have one line going to the laser bed and with this fitting we're going to have one to the laser bed and one to the laser head.

What does the vac need to remove, fumes?? :) dupree (i work in a cave we don't have any high tech gaggets)
P.S. I like the fitting on the right. No reason. Just looks like it would flow better

sharpscriber
05-01-2011, 10:51 PM
Any specs on your flow rate or static? We worked on lots of blowpipe systems for material removal and used te one on the right. They were sized to three openings: 60 deg. at the side of the main trunk reducer inlet, the small and the large opening. Usually you might want to install a shop made blast gate at the small end after the fitting. You can put the blast gate at an angle to make it as quiet as a flea walking on a feather. (oval) That's a trick from the old timers. :wheelchair:

Bawlzout
01-24-2012, 07:00 PM
The one on the right.

The one on the left I would only use if the tap coming off is larger than the smaller opening on the main body. In which case your software won't be able to calculate it anyway, and you have to do it like the Left one. The width of tap can't be bigger than the width of main body. So you have to keep the body same size, and reduce with transition.

striker12300
01-25-2012, 06:45 AM
We did use the one on the left. When cutting lexan and fiberglass we get really nasty fumes. Our normal vac system couldn't handle it so we made a box that fits around the laser head. Works good now.