PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Lined Duct

jw223
11-22-2009, 10:43 AM
Does anyone have any info, or proven methods for cleaning lined duct? I have a job that I need to bid that includes Duct cleaning. The duct is all lined with 1" liner, and no nosing. There are three systems that need to be done, duct sizes ranging from 42 x 36 to 10 x 8. I am not excluding the idea of pricing new duct cleaning equipment into the quote. Thanks in advance-

cactassdupree
11-22-2009, 01:53 PM
They have companies that do duct cleaning. Nose around there and see if you can sniff anything out. You might be able to ask how they do it with out destroying the liner. I think they use a brush kind of like a chimney sweep does and a vacuum. Just a guess though. I think i've seen messages on some truck that mentions some kind of mildicied too. :idea:

dupree

Bounder
11-22-2009, 03:43 PM
The few people I know that have cleaned commercial duct did it with a shop vac and no special equipment save a couple of brushes.

Considering some of the old lined duct I've seen removed on jobs you may want to try and have a look to see how dirty the duct is before quoting on the job.

ccrayjr
11-23-2009, 09:03 AM
I believe on vendoe of duct cleaning equipment is Roto-Brush. You have to be careful cleaning the duct! If the liner is compromised durning cleaning, the liner product will promote mold gowth and have to be removed!

jw223
11-23-2009, 07:40 PM
Thanks guys- I think I'm going to "donate" a few access doors to check the integrity of the liner. The system we are currently using involves a 9 hp vac, a seperate filter bag, 8" hoses, and compressed air, with brushes. I have used this equipment on newer lined duct with pretty good results, but as anyone who has tried to clean liner knows, it can never be cleaned like new. I have also seen it become totally shreaded in the process. This is an existing customer that we have a pretty good relationship with, but replaceing all of the duct is completely out of the question. most of it is about 6' above a drop ceiling, so access to the duct itself is going to be a challange of it's own. Thanks again for the advice.