PDA

View Full Version : Duct covering film

legacy
10-22-2009, 07:32 PM
I have seen a lot of adds lately for one sided adhesive film for covering the end of ductwork before it is delivered to the jobsite. We recently were requested to use such a product on a LEED certified job (not that the plastic had anything to do with the certification that I can see)

Anyway, we ended up using a product from Elgin, and have replenished with a durodyne product, and ezperienced some degree of failure with both. Some of the material blew of during delivery in our open rack trucks. Some just came loose on the jobsite.

I did a search and figured out that this product is just self adhesive carpet tape available at most carpet stores. The on-line pricing of the film is equal to that of the product marketed by the HVAC supply houses, but if you need it in a pinch, it may be more readily available from a carpet store.

greenman9
11-16-2009, 10:03 AM
Lately I have been seeing jobs require that the duct and fittings have the openings(at the ductmate or slip/drive be closed untill install. we usually use Garbage bags or plastic sheeting and tape. Never saw this before, only in the last 2years or so

Local30guy
04-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Did allot of this a few years ago .The application is for a job that usually has a "clean" type room/s. Pharmaceutical,Hospitals,Food plants..The idea is that the film plastic stays on until a connection is ready to be made.We used a adhesive backed blue plastic.Can't remember the name of it. It sure is time consuming wrapping every piece of duct..

jw05450
04-11-2010, 03:56 PM
profab duct wrap we use this alot works great

http://www.productionproducts.net/profab_slip_onoff_duct_covers_duct_wrap.html

sheetmental
04-13-2010, 09:06 AM
i've done alot of that. on those jobs we were also required to wipe away the yellow dust from the plasma table. i've done alot of work for chem labs and controlled environment stuff.
(mostly dupont and hercules)

we just used shrink wrap. i've always thought that the guy who figures out how to speed the process and make it less of a p.i.t.a. will make a fortune

TimC
09-16-2011, 12:30 PM
We use a product called 'Bear-a-Cade' one side adhesive poly film. It definitely won't blow away on you and it doesn't leave glue behind when you peel it off. Also for cleaning out the inside of the duct we found that swiffer replacement pads work like a charm and they aren't very expensive in bulk.

cactassdupree
09-16-2011, 03:52 PM
i've done alot of that. on those jobs we were also required to wipe away the yellow dust from the plasma table. i've done alot of work for chem labs and controlled environment stuff.
(mostly dupont and hercules)

we just used shrink wrap. i've always thought that the guy who figures out how to speed the process and make it less of a p.i.t.a. will make a fortune

I've use shrink wrap before. It use to come in just a roll. Now you can get the roll with handles. Then today I was watching the lady rewrap some kind of cheese or cold cuts and I'll bet one of you smart gentlemens could figure a way to get a wider roll and have it mounted to a roller and a little heat wire that cuts the stuff. Who will be the first one on the block??? can anyone say patient?? :) dupree

tnbndr
09-19-2011, 06:27 PM
You think putting it on is a pain in the arse, our guys complain more about taking it off.

jsharpe10
11-16-2012, 03:43 PM
i found it stuck good to the duct i fabricated at the shop but did not stick to fittings we buy, like round 90's and spiral duct where they are coated in an oily film. we use the durodyne product here. here is corner brook, newfoundland, canada.

jw05450
12-17-2012, 07:53 PM
http://www.productionproducts.net/catalog/hvac_supplies/profab_duct_wrap_film_with_hightack_adhesive.html

Use it all the time works great.